The Weekly Insight: October 8
Texas Insight’s Recent Reports
- HHSC: Palliative Care Interdisciplinary Advisory Council: The Palliative Care Interdisciplinary Advisory Council consults with and advises on matters related to the establishment, maintenance, operation and outcome evaluation of the statewide palliative care consumer and professional information and education program.
- HHSC: Proposed Rules Regarding Peer Specialist Services: Hearing. The Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) conducted a public hearing on October 4, 2018, at 9:00 a.m. to receive public comment on proposed new Subchapter N, Peer Specialist Services, under Texas Administrative Code Title 1, Part 15, Chapter 354. The proposed new rules were published in the September 14, 2018, issue of the Texas Register (43 TexReg 5887).
- DSHS: Task Force on Infectious Disease Preparedness and Response: H.B. 2950, 84th Legislature, Regular Session, 2015, codified the Task Force on Infectious Disease Preparedness and Response in Texas Health and Safety Code (HSC) Chapter 81, Subchapter J. The Task Force is required to provide expert, evidence-based assessments, protocols, and recommendations related to state responses to infectious diseases, as well as serve as a source of information and education.
- HHSC: Texas Autism Council: The meeting addressed the 2018 Report to the Executive Commissioner, creating the basis for the report from an outline presented by the Chair. The meeting expanded on the outline and provided the Chair with direction on how [he should] proceed with drafting the report.
- HHSC: Proposed Rates for State-Operated Intermediate Care Facilities: The Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) conducted a public hearing to receive public comment on the proposed interim per diem Medicaid reimbursement rates for small and large, state-operated Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with an Intellectual Disability (ICF/IID). The hearing was held in compliance with Texas Human Resources Code §32.0282, which requires public notice of and hearings on proposed Medicaid reimbursement rates.
- October 9: Mental Health Condition and Substance Use Disorder Parity Workgroup
- October 11, 2018: Proposed Medicaid Payment Rates for Medicaid Community Hospice
- October 11, 2018: Uncompensated Care Rule Public Hearing
- October 12, 2018: Behavioral Health Advisory Committee
State and Federal Healthcare News
- Can the Baylor-Memorial hospital merger lower the costs of health care for Texans?
- Texas alternative to Planned Parenthood? Reward failing providers.
- Marijuana activists ‘thrilled’ as Gov. Abbott proposes no jail time for possession
- Hospital merger will shift power to Dallas
- The hospital says she’s brain-dead. Her parents say she’s alive. Who decides when to take her off the ventilator?
- Texas and the feds square off over $33 million in special education funds
- TEA heads to court to defend drop in special education spending
- Sexual Assault And Harassment May Have Lasting Health Repercussions For Women
- Memorial Hermann to merge with Baylor Scott & White creating largest health system in Texas
- New bids ordered after Texas Medicaid failed to follow procedures to include minority contractor
- Largest not-for-profit hospital chains in Dallas, Houston plan to merge
- Fact-Checking the President: Has He Saved or Sabotaged Obamacare?
- Study: Insurers returning to pre-ObamaCare profitability
- A Brain Scientist Who Studies Alzheimer’s Explains How She Stays Mentally Fit
- HPV Vaccine Expanded for People Ages 27 to 45
- Researcher: ‘Selfie deaths have become a major public health problem’
- D.A. Seizes Documents from Juul Headquarters
- Senate sends bipartisan package to fight opioid epidemic to Trump’s desk
- Memorial Sloan Kettering’s Chief Executive Resigns from Merck’s Board of Directors
- Premiums see moderate increase in 2018 for employer plans
- Cancer Center’s Board Chairman Faults Top Doctor Over ‘Crossed Lines’