The Weekly Insight: July 30
Texas Insight’s Recent Reports
- HHSC: The Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities System Redesign Advisory Committee: The Committee gathered to hear updates on: 1. Intellectual and Developmental Disability (IDD) carve-in evaluation by Deloitte and UT Health. 2. Very little information was provided related to the legislative appropriations process because it was a little too soon. 3. The Legislative Report outline was reviewed, and recommendations were reviewed again with minor changes occurring in both the substantive recommendations and the recommendations requiring exceptional item funding. 4. A letter to be sent to the Acting Executive Commissioner strongly recommending the postponement of the IDD carve into managed care for several reasons.
- HHSC: Joint Committee on Access and Forensic Services: The joint committee met to review and discuss recommendations they had proposed. Suggestions were made for edits and changes. They also reviewed the draft utilization review report. The Legislative report draft was presented and members commented. No vote on the report was taken since it is a staff report, though input was appreciated. The Joint Committee received the recommendations on housing from the Behavioral Health Advisory Committee.
July 31, 2018: Hearing on the State Plan for Streptococcus pneumoniae
August 1, 2018: Aging Texas Well Advisory Committee
State and Federal Healthcare News
- Five dead, including gunman, in Texas nursing home shooting: official
- Sam Houston State defends its plan for a new medical school to address rural physician shortages
- As more states legalize marijuana, is Texas poised to move in that direction?
- Trial ends, but judge seeks more info on Texas fetal burial law
- After loss at state Supreme Court, Texas keeps fighting to conceal its execution drug supplier
- Wile Interests to develop medical office building in Katy
- Trump Officials Scoff at ‘Medicare for All’ Drive
- Arizona Governor Takes Steps To Blunt Industry Influence On Medicaid
- Getting Real About Periods, Childbirth, Menopause and More
- Overnight Health Care: CDC says firearm deaths on the rise | GOP chairman wants review of drug price negotiators | Hundreds of children still separated after court deadline
- New Alzheimer’s Drug Slows Memory Loss in Early Trial Results
- Republican chairman wants FTC to review mergers of drug price negotiators
- V.A. Shuns Medical marijuana, Leaving Vets to Improvise
- Trump Administration, In Reversal, Will Resume Risk Payments to Health Insurers
- NYTimes ‘Fact Check of the Day’: Trump’s Confusing Claim About the Veterans Choice Program
- A vote Expanded Medicaid in Maine. The Governor is Ignoring It.
- How the Trump Administration is Browbeating Big Pharma on Drug Prices
- For Scientists Racing to Cure Alzheimer’s, The Math is Getting Ugly
- Anti-Abortion Protesters at Queens Clinic Did Not Harass Patients, Judge Rules